Derecho Publico Internacional – Terminología Clave, Pt. II (Jan. 4, 2021)
Eche un vistazo a estos 15 términos relacionados con el Derecho Público Internacional, una area clave de ingles jurídico (legal English). ¿Sabrías las respuestas? En algunos casos sería aceptable más de una respuesta. ¡Las publicaré la próxima semana!
1.what a witness gives at a trial; She gave extensive _______________ as her lawyer examined her to establish the material facts.
a) testimony b) account c) story d) narrative
2. the legal reasons for filing/bringing of a lawsuit/action/claim against someone; On what ______________ are you thinking of bringing this Class Action?
a) basis b) grounds c) foundation d) motive
3. a draft of law presented to a legislature for enactment; The government is currently drafting a new ______ on Universal Basic Income and it is expected that it may pass the first vote.
a) legislation b) regulation c) bill d) ordinance
4. a separate opinion written by one or more justices in a case; this opinion disagrees with the decision of the majority of the court; Justice Roberts wrote the ___________ opinion in this case, disagreeing with the majority’s decision that the Plaintiff’s civil rights were not violated.
a) diverging b) dissenting c) disagreeing d) all of the above
5. the fixed amount of time that something lasts for; This Treaty has a ___________ of 10 years at which point its terms may have to be renegotiated.
a) period b) validity c) expiry date d) term
6. to make a decision on a specific point of law; The Judge ______ that, on the specific facts of the case, the Plaintiff was obligated to mitigate his damages.
a) decided b) concluded c) held d) stated
7. when Court decides which party to the dispute is the “winner”; Given the lack of admissible evidence presented by the Plaintiff, the Court had no choice but to __________ the Defendant.
a) find for b) rule for c) adjudicate for d) a & b
8. i) to use a law or rule in order to achieve something; ii) to mention law, principle or idea in order to support an argument; The Claimant’s attorneys ______________ the Universal Declaration of Human Rights to support their argument that the Claimant was unfairly discriminated against.
a) invoked b) cited c) relied on d) a & c
9. having required qualities or fulfilling the required conditions to do, be or get something; In Japan, employees are not _______________ to more than 10 paid vacation days.
a) qualified b) permitted c) eligible d) all of the above
10. period within which a prosecution or civil action can be initiated against someone; Unfortunately, you have waited too long to bring this action. Due to the operation of the _________________, you are barred from initiating proceedings at this point.
a) lapse period b) limitation period c) statute of limitation d) b & c
11. the detailed written legal explanation of the court/tribunal/Board for the decision reached in any case; Upon carefully analysing the Board’s _____________ for the decision, the lawyer decided that it was appealable as there were several reviewable errors.
a) reasons b) findings c) rulings d) all of the above
12. to “appeal” a decision of any governmental body/ to “appeal” an administrative decision; They are going to __________ the EU Council’s designation of the country as a tax heaven.
a) question b) appeal c) challenge d) undermine
13. when a Court is unable to reach a decision immediately after the conclusion of a trial or hearing; The Court has decided to _______________ its judgment until requested additional evidence is provided by the parties.
a) delay b) postpone c) adjourn d) reserve
14. an amicable solution to a dispute between two parties to avoid (or to shorten) litigation; Given the costs of potential litigation, they have decided to reach a _____________ on mutually agreeable terms.
a) agreement b) settlement c) resolution d) contract
15. to consider or judge something in a particular way; The Court ___________ that President Trump’s conduct during the Russia investigation did not amount to obstruction of justice.
a) deem b) interpret c) construed d) all of the above
Derecho Publico Internacional – Terminología Clave, Pt. II: Clave respuesta
1 a; 2 b; 3 c; 4 b; 5 d; 6 c; 7 d; 8 d; 9 c; 10 d; 11 a; 12 c; 13 d, b & c; 14 b; 15 a